The role of the Firearms Unit
The Firearms Unit within the Department of Justice has responsibility for the administration of the Firearms Acts 1925 to 2009 and related legislation.
The Unit processes applications for:
- Importation Licences
- Export Licences to EU Member States, including other countries which are subject to the EU Firearms Directive
- Transit through the State Licences for individual travelling with their firearm through the State
The Unit registers Firearms Dealers under the provisions of the Firearms Acts – this registration is renewable every 3 years.
To view the legislation, publications and forms that relate to firearms and ammunition, click on the options below:
- Legislation and Publication
- Public Consultation
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Administration and forms for firearms dealers
- Administration and forms for Individuals