The Explosives Division has responsibility for the administration of the Explosives Act 1875 and related legislation see the General Guidance Notes - Explosive Legislation (Last revision 1 May 2020) for details.
It deals with the ongoing development of explosives policy and legislation and its role includes the management of the explosives inspection and licensing functions. This also entails the provision of advice on a wide range of technical matters relating to explosives, including the carriage of explosives by road.
The Division has responsibility for ensuring compliance with market surveillance requirements in respect of explosives and pyrotechnics and for the transposition and implementation of EU explosives legislation, including obligations arising under various EU Directives and Regulations relating to explosives, pyrotechnics and explosive precursors.
Explosives are strictly controlled and a person may not import, store or manufacture explosives without a licence. Transport and sale of explosives is also controlled by regulations.
- commercial or industrial explosives (such as detonators, boosters, detonating cord, ANFO and cartridged explosives);
- propellants (such as shooter’s powder, black powder);
- pyrotechnics (such as marine distress flares, industrial pyrotechnic cartridges and fireworks).
Certain substances such as ammonium nitrate, sodium chlorate, potassium nitrate and sodium nitrate also come under the control of the explosives regulations, as they are deemed to be explosives for the purposes of the Act.
Use of explosives is not controlled by the Explosives Act, but is regulated by the Health and Safety Authority.
- Licence to Manufacture an Ammonium Nitrate Mixture as specified in the Ammonium Nitrate Mixtures Exemption Order, 1997 - Application Form.
Further information on specific aspects of Explosives can be found by way of the following links:
- Importing Commercial Explosives/Marine Pyrotechnic Articles, etc
- Storing Explosives
- Explosives Precursors
If any queries please contact Explosives Unit of the Department of Justice and Equality by: